Miyan Kuka is arguably one of the most famous Northern Nigeria staple due to its availability in the northern part of country, miyan kuka has became a true Northern Nigeria delicacy where both rich and the poor eat in their homes. It can be call ‘Baobab leaf soup in English’.
Miya generally means soup while kuka means baobab in Hausa.
However, most of the big restaurant in northern Nigeria includes this great soup miyan kuka in their menu list.
You can cook Miyan kuka in two different way that is fresh leave kuka and dry grounded kuka, this soup can be cook with either meat or fish its depend on individual choice, but personally i prefer fish than meat in either of the two.
The quantity of ingredient to be put in miyan kuka depends on individual taste. However, some people want their miyan kuka watery while some want it moderately thick, below is the picture of fresh leave and dry grounded baobab.
- Baobab Leaf Powder or fresh leave Kuka
- Dried Catfish Bandan-Kifi
- Onion Albasa
- Biscuit Bone Kashin Miya
- Locust beans Daddawa
- Scotch Bonnets Atarugu or Barkono
- Salt to taste Gishiri
- Palm Groundnut oil man ja or man Gyada (optional)
- Beans wake (optional)
- Meat nama
Kuka is a dry grounded baobab leave powder, don’t forget as i said earlier we also have the fresh leaves, which can be slice or chop before cooking, you can also cook it without slicing.
Miyan Kuka does not need much seasoning so you can add your favorite seasoning as much as you want. However, i strongly advice the use of water gotten from the parboiled meat which improve the taste of the soup, miyan kuka can be cook with any type of meat or fish, some people use palm or groundnut oil in cooking miyan Kuka.
Wash your meat and parboiled it with onions and seasoning. However, if you are using smoked fish. Use warm water to wash the fish and keep it aside.
1. When the meat is done remove it and keep alongside the smoked fish.
2. Add seasoning, dadawa, salt, pepper and oil to the water
3. Add meat and allow to cook for three minutes.
4. Add the kuka powder by spreading over while stiring the soup at the same time to dissolve the lumps.
5. Add the smoked fish and allowed it to cook for five minute.
6. Your soup is done
Miyan kuka is best served with Tuwon Shinkafa, Tuwon Masara, Tuwon Gero, Tuwon Dawa.