Nigerian Scotch Egg is the Scottish version of the scotch egg, with a little twist.
The snack has become a very popular snack in Nigeria and can be found at almost all fast food restaurants or eateries and are simply delicious.
The Nigerian Scotch egg is so easy to make, that you’ll never have to go to an eatery anytime you need one.
Here’s how to prepare it.
- 7 Medium Eggs
- 400g Sausage Meat
- Vegetable Oil for Deep Frying
- 50g Plain Flour
- 100g Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1/2 Teaspoon Rosemary
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 Stalk Spring Onion, Finely chopped
- 1 Knorr Chicken
- Boil 6 eggs.
- You may choose to use soft or hard boiled eggs or even runny yolk, it’s entirely up to you. I prefer hard boiled eggs. When it’s cooked, peel and set aside.
- Mix the Sausage Meat with the Thyme, Rosemary, Nutmeg, Black Pepper, Cayenne pepper , Knorr chicken and finely chopped Spring Onions and set aside…
- Break an Egg onto a plate, also add the flour on pot a separate plate and transfer the Breadcrumbs into another plate and set aside…
- Coat a Boiled Egg with the Flour and dust lightly (I forgot to do that with the first egg) then scoop some of the Sausage Meat onto a flat surface, flatten the
- sausage meat to make a round shape, you can use your palm as well.
- Place an Egg on the Sausage Meat and gently wrap the meat around the Egg; making sure it’s fully covered.
- Dip the wrapped Boiled Egg into the Flour and coat all over….
- Now dip it into the Egg mixture, coat all over…
- Then transfer into the Breadcrumbs, coat all over…
- Repeat this process with the remain eggs till exhausted, then transfer them onto
- a flat plate..
- Pour the vegetable oil or your preferred cooking oil into a wok or deep saucepan.
- Place on medium heat.
- Fry the scotch eggs on both sides till golden brown.
- Do make sure the heat is neither too high nor too low. If it’s too high, the scotch eggs won’t cook all the way through and may soak in too much oil if it’s
- too low.
The heat should be medium.
Note: Try not to overcrowd the pan while frying.
Transfer the cooked Scotch Eggs onto a paper towel lined plate.